Pediatrician - Red Deer Full-time Job2 months ago Doctor / Physician Red Deer 1 view
Red Deer is looking for well-rounded Pediatricians who want to practice to their full scope. In the hospital, we manage our 17-bed level 2 NICU and 10-bed pediatric in-patient ward, and serve as the consultant on call for neonatal & pediatric patients across central zone. In clinic, we consult on general pediatric problems and provide ongoing care for more complex patients, such as those with diabetes, prematurity, developmental delays, multi-system disorders and mental health concerns.
This is an excellent opportunity for either a new grad to begin their pediatric practice in a supportive group of general pediatricians, or for a more experienced Pediatrician who wants to maintain their inpatient & outpatient skills. Here you can follow a complex patient right from birth through to adulthood. Red Deer is supported by Allied Health including public OT, PT, and SLP providers who work both in hospital and in the community. Inpatients are further supported by our neonatal nurse practitioner, neonatal / peds RTs, social work and lactation consultants. The Red Deer Regional Hospital has an 8 bed inpatient child/adolescent psychiatric unit staffed by 2 pediatrics & adolescent psychiatrists. We have academic links to the Universities of Edmonton and Calgary, and frequently enjoy shared patient care with our general & subspecialty colleagues there. We are well supported the AMA and AHS.
This position requires that a successful candidate has either eligibility or a license to practice as a specialist in Pediatrics from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Participation in our call group is an expectation (coverage split into days and nights, with one to two pediatricians on per day and one per night, and approximately one 5-7 day week and 3-4 nights per month), while clinic scheduling is more flexible. Excellent communication skills with families and colleagues are essential.
- This position requires that a Physician have or obtain a license to practice as a Pediatrician from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta as well as the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC).
- Evidence and demonstration of experience and skills required to manage a wide spectrum of out-patient consultation in pediatric development, behavioural and mental health problems.
- Recent (within the last 5 years) experience in the care of critically unwell pediatric and neonatal patients, pediatric inpatients, and in a level 2 or 3 NICU.
- Demonstration of excellent communication skills with both families and colleagues.
- Up to date certifications in BLS, PALS and NRP.
- Canadian clinical experience is preferred.
Additional Desired Competencies
- Interest in working with learners.
- Instructor status for NRP and/or PALS.
In accordance with Alberta Health Services' Immunization of Workers for COVID-19 Policy, all contractors and AHS employees, including medical and midwifery staff are required to be fully immunized against COVID-19 prior to their first day of practice. By applying to this position you are confirming your ability and willingness to comply with the policy.
- Position Classification: Full-time
- FTE: 1
- Department: Pediatrics
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: Yes
- Compensation: This Position is Fee For ServiceMedical Liability Reimbursement (provided through the AMA) - reimburses physicians for their medical liability protection costs less a $1,000 deductible.Continuing Medical Education (provided through the AMA) - reimburses physicians for eligible continuing medical education costs. Each eligible physician receives a $2,500 annual allotment which can be carried forward for up to three years.Parental Leave Program (provided through the AMA) - provides $1,000 per week for up to 17 weeks to physician parents of a newborn or newly adopted child.Business Cost Program - addresses escalating practice costs in community based practices. This fee modifier is added automatically to select office visits and consultations. This program applies across the province and all physicians who provide visit services in an office based setting will receive an additional $2.75 with the exception of Calgary and Airdrie where the fee modifier is $3.25 on select office visits and consultations.Disclaimer - These programs are currently under review and are subject to change.On-Call-Pediatricians are remunerated for being on call for pediatric service. The rate is $21 an hour and is paid for a total of 14 hours on weekdays from 5 pm to 7am and 24 hours a day on weekends and statutory holidays. Frequency of on call shifts vary.
- Community Info: Red Deer is a vibrant, growing city with all the advantages of a larger centre but without the traffic jams! Beautiful park system runs through the centre of the city with over 50km of bike and walking trails. Excellent schools and extracurricular activities in arts and sports. Red Deer College offer full nursing program and allows for 1st two years of university transfer for many other courses of study.Red Deer is strategically located in the heart of central Alberta, just two hours from Calgary, Edmonton, the majestic Rockies and the Drumheller Valley. Considered one of the fastest growing markets in Canada, Red Deer has become a trading centre for more than 300,000 people and home to 90,000 residents. Red Deer is well known as a progressive city with a rich sense of community spirit. Its perfect location, well-educated workforce, advanced infrastructure, friendly business environment, excellent schools and community college, miles of trails and parks, and active local arts community makes Red Deer a great place to call home.Travel Time:To Edmonton: 1.25 hrsTo Calgary: 1.25 hrsTo Red Deer: 0 hrsTo Grande Prairie: 7.5 hrsTo Lethbridge: 3.5 hrsTo Medicine Hat: 4.0 hrsRed Deer Regional Hospital CentreNo. of Inpatient Beds: 222No. of Surgical Beds: 72No. of Intensive Care Beds: 18No. of Labor & Delivery Beds: 33No. of Day Surgery Beds: 31Hospital Statistics:Deliveries: 2500 p/yrRadiology Services:Diagnostic ImagingUltrasoundComputerized Tomography (CT) ScanMagnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)Laboratory Hours of Operation: 24 hrsKidney Dialysis Unit on Site: YesCancer Treatment Services Available on Site: Yes
- Posting Date: Apr 1, 2022
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.